9/01/2005

To A New Year! (Refugees, My Chain, Words)

Well, I started out with a list of chores this morning. To be honest, the chores took so dang long I deleted the whole post. I just got mad about it and decided to dissapate it. Healthy venting.

Dissapate...there's a 25 cent word.

Speaking of good words, this interview-ee on TV a few minutes ago used the word "clairvoyant" (of which I was impressed, "none of us had the clairvoyance to prepare for Katrina adequately last week). But, he followed that with "Uh... Uh... Uh... Uh..."

I said to my husband, "Can you use a great word like "clairvoyant" and follow it with, "Uh..., uh..., uh..., uh...?" Just sort of ruins the whole effect of the word somehow.
-----
Anyway, so on my birthday -- I was going to be superwoman today, defying the effects of time.

However, I remembered throughout the long day that THIS superwoman has 5 people in her home with dirty underwear, socks, and everything else that goes on top of that! AND, in my desire to relieve my friends with 9 refugees in her home with possibly no home, I needed to get my laundry room looking all "organized and inviting".

I always have that desire...and it always kills me. I mean, I want the nickle plated wall hooks, and little seat with storage underneath, and the custom curtains you see in the magazines (where nobody does laundry...I know). I just want people to pass by that room and go, "Whoa, this woman has it together. Look at those neat stacks and all that organization."

Right. On top of that, I really hate to iron. I mean, no joke, I'm ironing stuff today I've had in a basket for a year! Why I allow clothing into my home that EVER needs ironing is beyond me. (Beyond, of course, my own Khakies and the occassional need for an ironed cotton white shirt. Aaa--. You just feel so relaxed in khakis and a crisp white shirt. Anything with me?)

So, only three more items and I'm done ironing (for the year). I even ironed that cantankerous collar on my husband's polo shirt he always complains about sticking up. Don't tell him, he'll make me do it again.

I don't mind ironing really...it's just he whole setup. It's a pain. It's in the way. It's heavy. Bulking and annoying to store. BUT...last week, as part of my "back to school shopping", I bought one of those hook over the door and drop down ironing boards. Now, we're talking. It fits IN my laundry room. Nobody trips over it in there. So, we'll see how my ironing percentage goes up with this addition. When in doubt, blame your tools! (Yes, James, blame the tools).

One year I "superstarched" all my khakis on "heavy" at the drycleaners to try to keep from having to iron all season...a riot...I rattled when I walked. We'd try to sneak up to the stage during the invitation to play...to be quiet was impossible! It was like, "Swish, Closh, Crunch. Swish, Closh, Crunch." In slides for shoes, add the "Plick" when the shoe hits the foot. "Swish, Closh, Cruch...Plick". To get up there quiet, I'd walk straight legged and take off my shoes!


I don't know, that whole crispy thing just did something very BAD to the whole concept of "khakis". So, we're back to relaxed and somewhat wrinkled on occassion...unless I'm really "into the day" and happen to have extra energy for ironing. Like, once every couple months.
--------------------------------------------
Well, I had a good birthday. My kids got me a gold chain to replace the one I lost on the field trip this year at the amusement park.

It was so sweet! Trouble was, I lost this one, too...in the first hour! No joke. I couldn't figure it out... had not even taken it out of the jewelry case yet and I lost it! How is that possible?

We looked everywhere. They had made a special late night trip to Wal Mart last night at like 8:30 (hubbie and ALL THREE) to buy me the thing...we WOULD find that gift before they got home. I was like Quincy, calling Grandma's to interrogate a four year old red-head...hear him saying in the background to Grandma, "I don't have time to talk to her." (cartoons blaring in the background, probably a Debbie cake in hand.)

She cajoled him.

Finally he comes on and answers, "Mom, I did NOT see it. I did NOT have it. You lost your NEW necklace? I don't know anything about your necklace, Mom."

I got so worried by lunch, I even called both other kids at the school, going through the principal...talk about drama. Nada. Nothing.

So, tonight we're all at my Mom's eating Dairy Queen ice cream cake...I'm started to feel pretty depressed about the sofa I wanted already being bought, gas prices keeping me home out of fear, looting in the Katrina Zone, etc. etc.

In between bites and conversation, I hear this little voice in the back of it all saying, "We might want to try looking under the couch when we get home." It shot out of the dark like a beam of light. I was like, "Everybody hold. Quiet. What did you just say, Red? I thought you didn't touch it."


He said, "Well, I didn't remember that I did." I think he was being honest, but ..."I don't recall..."

Ring a bell? Starts at 4 years old. He did apologize later for "lying". I think he did forget, so we took it easy on the culprit.
-----------------------------------
I'LL never forget getting the necklace from three excited kids, or "The Great Interrogation." I'll never forget all this other stuff that makes life "life" for us while we're looking for something else.
----------------------------------
Hubbie remembered my Mother's Charm that could go on it-- the perfect match. What a man! Can he shop or what?
-----------------------------------------

I hope the refugees bring their little ones to come swim tomorrow!

I finally got all the leaves out of the pool from the storm winds (finally). Supersanitized it for six children under the age of 5. (You figure that out).

I need to work on my gift of hospitality. For example, right now, I'm thinking, "Dadblame it, you'd better come, I spent all day getting leaves out of that pool. We are going to get away from CNN and have FUN and RELAX whether you WANT to our not! EAT MY ICECREAM...ENJOY YOURSELF"


I'll wake up with a smile ready to greet the world and woo the refugees to a strangers house... I hope!

To a new year!!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How does it feel being 32? I turn 32 on Sunday. Happy Birthday!!!
Los