9/09/2005

How Did He Break It?

How did my husband break his arm? Oh, yeah. I forgot to back up.

I broke it. He was a little slow to get the trash out.

Kidding.

He was helping with a weekend blitz remodeling the fellowship hall into youth rooms down at at the church. 12 feet up, he leaned out on the ladder to add a little extra kick to the drill trying to sink the screw into the steel support beams.

The aluminum leg on the ladder buckled under, threw him off balance, and down he came, hand full of drywall screws, tape measure in pocket (major bruise). As you can see, he grabbed the ceiling support to try to break his fall, but it gave. He started swelling "quick like" and tried to pass out on them. Nobody told me that part when they called. Just that he had broken a wrist and was okay.

ER, x-ray, transfer, Ortho consult, emergency surgery to prevent nerve damage.

God was with us--great orth doc, sweet Christian nurse, short waits, wonderful pastor who drove us (and brought me needed chocolate and sugar early on, praise God in heaven who knows me by name!)

He's been a trooper. Grandparents helped us out all week in the evenings watching kids so he could keep working and rest in the evenings.

The six weeks have gone by relatively fast. We had some bonding moments -- learning to put in his contacts with him at first was interesting. He has very sensitive eyes.

He learned to do everything himself by the end--strong spirit. Another reason I married him.

He's sure anxious to beat me at tennis again! I'll be taking advantage of his slight handicap on that pitching arm for a while!

My son who got up early to help his Dad get ready for work, putting on his socks and shoes the first few days after the break.

The day after the break, the kids came in with us from church and sat down at the computer. My son says to my daughter, "Let's see if there's a 'falling-off-the-ladder.com!" There was! Something close, anyway. I laughed, and my husband thinks it's more funny now.
Click for funny ladder story.

No comments: