9/08/2005

Seven Pin

My husband DID get the pins out today!

Hurray!

The bone showed slightly offset on the repeat x-ray, but the ortho doc says he wasn't worried about it--he will not have "any severe disability" with it. He'll probably always suffer arthritis in that arm and may never full full range of motion back, but he should get close. The Dr. was optimistic. Six weeks of rehab should let us know where we are. No heavy lifting...including milk jugs.

When I had a baby, I could do no heavy lifting, and I still had to care for a 10 pound baby, so I'm just trying to figure this out. Considering all, I think I still have trash duty.

We realized he's had the pins six weeks and we still weren't sure what all had been broken! Seems at least three bones and a "crush line" across the major break.

The Dr. said he'd try to take the most painful ones out first, but as it turned out, the third one hung and was the worst. Ouch. He asked the Dr. if he should hold the bed or my hand or something. (I'm glad the bed was closer! I'm supportive, but no dummy.)

I made an easy audience, fortunately. As it turned out, seeing them come out looked more normal than seeing sticking out of skin all this time.

I'll be honest, I was dreaming of chocolate. There's been an unfortunate shortage in my home.

Okay, I'll even admit, I tried to cheat. I got desperate in the waiting room. Looked around for a while when we got there...couldn't turn up anything without being too obvious. When they called him back for the x-ray, I made my break for it. Thought, there are a lot of women working here, there have got to at least be some M&Ms around closeby. Asked the girl at the desk in the office if there was a candy machine She said, "No, sorry, it's way over in the next building. Is it emergency?"

I hesitated and said, "Well, that all depends on how you define emergency...I just really need some chocolate." She turned and went back to work, unimpressed. Medical professionals, gotta love 'em.

Not even a good magazine. Real Simple, a decent look through. Such a pretty magazine and it appears to have such good ideas...but, there is something missing. You sense it every time. Searching people looking for answers and dancing all around doing the right stuff, as if we can on our own. Hello.

The first article was on forgiveness quotes...good idea, good quotes, right direction, but not going to happen by sheer effort I hate to tell them. They are in for a severe letdown. Kind of makes me sad.

Anyway, saw a good ad in there I tore out. (I'm such a rebel.) I'll post it sometime.
-----------
So, we did the proceedure thing and then....went to a nice restaurant...for chocolate. I was very clear about this goal. He wanted to stop and shop for furniture at a store there first. I told him that was not a good idea until I got the chocolate.

I "treated", which means I sign to take the money out of his paycheck instead of him, basically. He still gets a kick out of it on occassion. Which I think it funny. The best part was, I wouldn't tell him how much it was when he asked.

I suggested we only order appetizers and dessert. (For a meat and potaties kind of guy, this was on the wild side.)

So, I ordered us a huge Mexican platter appetizer, and dessert-- served together.

The waitress understands. No questions asked.

He doesn't get it. "Why do you want them together?"

We've been married thirteen years?

"Because it's really rich, and you'll NEED the salty."

"Oh, right!" He said. Probably just the Lortab slowing him down. I'll let it go.
---------------------
He told me today driving home that he really liked going being with me.

Again, possibly the Lortab. But, I liked it.

On a day like today, it's nice to be good company --pretty sleepy on allergy meds, thinking a whole lot about my pillow.

-------------------
We stopped by Lowe's on the way home, per his request.
I love having cell phones in there. He's looking at driveway sealer; I'm in home decor. Aah.

But, my problem remains. If anybody in the world knows how to pick out those big room area rugs... it is really beyond me. Seems such a simple thing. You buy it. You lay it on the floor. Yet, still. Harder task than meets the eye.

I know what I like, but they are so heavy that if I ever break down and get one, get it home and don't like it... motivation will be low to take it back. So, fork out a couple hundred for carpet to cover carpet that I may not like after I get it down?

I always end up with the same general statement. "I like this, but I just don't know."

I could pay a decorator to pat me on the back and tell me to buy what I already pretty much know I like. ??? The whole decorating thing just messes with my mind. It means one thing. A lot of money. I know I'll by happy to get it done, but where to start, and where to stop.

This will be an ongoing saga. Let you know if I ever break down.

We've shopped 3-4 times already. "I don't know" still all I've got to show for it.

At some point, my time will be come more valuable than the indecision--I'll bite the bullet.

But hey, we DID buy new gas logs!

So, come golden harvest leaves, nippy chill, sweaters, and fireglow!

I'm ready for ya now!


No comments: