9/20/2005

Roadkill

Played my guitar a while this morning, then went walking with Misty and the kiddos.

You know the thing I love about Misty? She laughs.

She just gets it...or at least pretends to enough that I enjoy talking.

You see, I was not born with a great sense of humor, probably have a rather satirical sense of humor (sometimes erring toward cynical, but not intentionally.)

A lot of people just don't get it. They sympathize, or try to read things into it, or psychologize the heck out of it.

I just like the funny stories about nothing! Just sharing and poking fun at life itself...I don't tell like haha jokes, but I think life is pretty funny.

So, today we talked about how weird our families made us. And we laughed our heads off!!! I love it. And mom, I'm really a having a hard time thinking of Santa's head as a toilet seat cover. I know you got if for me for my birthday, but I just don't know if I can do it to the saintly man. Now, frostly, I have no "sainthood" status for him...I think I can use him. Sit on him...see him as a snowball there on the toilet with no real psychological qualms. Old Saint Nick? He could probably put me on the naughty list for that! I just don't know. I'm thinking I could use that as a great "Dirty Santa" gift. And I do laught every time I think about it. Aren't the best gifts supposed to make you smile?

Misty understands! Misty loves, and I mean LOVES cats and wierd cartoons I see no meaning in...but they keep her sense of humor sharp.

Our first email exchange, she had to go back and explain the jokes to me. I just didn't get it. She's been patient, and I've been laughing ever since. She got me this calendar for the year with jokes on every week. I took it to the school last week not really thinking about it and my 8 yr old says, "Mom, I want to go show these jokes to my friends!" I was sitting at the teachers table of Christian teachers eating. I said, "Oh, no. Some of those are not appropriate!" Egads. I mean, they aren't BAD, bad. Just not something you want your kids soaking in. Let's see, next weeks shows a guy in an "AL's Plumbing shirt". He's watching the kids play football. He and his son both have on "plumber's pants" if you get my drift. Both shining their goods, Al is pointing to the player saying "That's my boy!" Okay.

Today, my son dropped his stuffed animal out of the stroller...his new one, just purchased for him yesterday: "Stripes". It growls a mechanical growl when you push his belly. To his unfortunate demise, it fell off the top of the stroller where he'd perched it, and Misty's stroller ran over it. "Grrrrrrrrrrrowl!"

I reached down to try to pick it up off the freshly rained on, muddy blacktop before Red saw it (no chance...it's a mop by now).

Misty says, "Oops! Sorry....Roadkill!".

That was pretty quick. I just lost it.

A few houses down, there was a lady getting groceries out of her car and she says, "Got a rambuncous crew today!"

I said, "Yeah, hellooo!"

We were both like, "Lady you ain't seen nothin'!"

So, onto killing computer viruses, finding school uniforms my children have hidden from me (they like to keep my life challenging), and overall housecleaning I've been avoiding for two weeks.

Or maybe I'll go find my guitar. Hmmmm. Well, a person has to get inspired to work well!

Oops. Shortage at the pregnancy crisis center for volunteers today? I'll have to do this stuff another time. Too bad. I was really looking forward to trying to get inspired. Oh, you workaholics, it's the creative side dominant in me this week. I'm not always like that. Probably hormonal.

Me.

2 comments:

Mysti said...

You're cracking me up today! Thanks for walking with me. Maybe we'll find more "roadkill" next time. :)

Anonymous said...

You may not always come up with the perfect one-liner, but you have a beautiful sense of creativity and a wonderful way with words. Wouldn't change you if I could.