9/02/2005

I Am A Refugee (revised 9-4)

Refugee.

Sounds like a third world thing.

"Over there...far away".

Shanties, poverty, the ill-prepared, unwarned.

Here?

I call my new friends, "refugees"?

It hurts to say the word...desperate.

Here in America...refugees. Walking right here among us, in my house. Hurting. Broken. Lost.

She says to me today, "I'm still in shock I guess, it doesn't seem real...it's just all gone...no jobs, no home. It's just gone."

Mother of three--no baby pictures? No home. No jobs. Nothing.

They've "left" many times before. False alarms -- two night stay in a hotel; home again.

Not this time.

Fourteen people in one house now. No room to play. Babies cranky. Mommies desperate. Daddies trying to hold on, trying to rescue, needing rescue.

"Refugee".

Oh, self...remember faith...the truth. Trust.

"And under His wings, you will find refuge."
"Let those who love the Lord take refuge in Him."
"He gives and He takes away...blessed be the name of the Lord."
"Does the Lord not bring both the sunshine and the rain? Will we love him for the one and distain him for the other?"
"The Lord works ALL things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His good purposes."

I believe.

Somehow.
By the grace of God...
I know His lovingkindness to well to doubt his heart for people.

And so does she--refugee. She says so, by grace, she believes.

"She?" Who am I kidding? I am as much a "refugee" as she. Not equating my position, but equally needing His refuge. His strength. His life. His breath. His heart.
Needing His refuge...I am "a refugee".

Lord Jesus, be refuge.

Be refuge!

Picture after four "homeless children" came to visit us and play yesterday. Humbling day. Have not slept well all week. "God grants sleep to those He loves." Grant sleep and rest to all these weary, Lord! Amen.

No comments: