9/09/2005

Take a Bath Before You "Go Out"


Well, I'm a little disillusioned. I guess that is what this place is for...to just say it. (Not that I have any great answers.)

I thought it would be cool to see some Christian musician blogs who are doing 'the thing": living the life, in the groove, making the CDs, making the impact, setting the pace, being used by God, living the dream, at least aspiring to it.

Wow! You mean all these artists recording CDs and ministering to people are blogging!
Cool! We get to see what the struggles and process is like! How they fight the fight, and find the faith, and meet the Lord to do this great thing they do! How neat to have an outlet in blogging for artists to be real, relevant, vulnerable, and vent in healthy ways at times with "the process".

Which takes me to my point. If in our "realness", there is a lack of purity in our speech as we write and vent, what in the world is going on in the heart? In feeling aggravated and low...is this outward expression a symptom of a deeper problem, or simply a bad habit?

In any case, let's raise the standard...time to regroup.

I'm sure I probably get immune to cultural and environmental stuff, react to stress more than I should in anger, and other ways, if not profanity. Just an eye opener to me when I say what I do in my profile, then don't exhibit that elsewhere. God, show me.

I'm not judging, I'm just saying, to see language fly like it's norm...I felt sad and disillusioned for a long time today. I wish I hadn't seen it and know. I won't say who it was or what was said, but it was there. Yes, I know there are other great artists out there...but sometimes the weight of the one hurts more for a while. It hurts Him.

I've been praying for God to give me understanding since I read it.

Not to gender stereotype, but I wonder if men in particular fight associations that go with "artistry" and "ministry" at times? Perhaps they feel compelled to make brute force known with the rough speech?

Know this: I never look at Steven Curis Chapman or even more touchy-feeley guys like Keith Green and think (/thought, God rest Green's soul) ...oh, if only he were more of a "man" and not so gentle in speech! To those of you who struggle with it, it's worth the battle to discipline yourself to be "light", to be different. To be in and not of. We are lead worshippers, all the way from musicans to technicians to records labels. We are salt. If we lose our saltiness...well, you know the rest. All the time. Not just in front of the mic.

"Let he who ministers to me have a clean heart." "Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." I don't really know what else to say and should stop. I'll just leave with an apology for all of us who know better and misrepresent Him to the world. We don't even think about it any more...we should. I should. More. Yes! We slip and fall like the rest...but it shouldn't be a habit. We need to know how to walk on two feet. Standing firm, and walking strong, faith filled. "If we falter in times of trouble, how small is our strength"!

Didn't really mean to step on toes...or maybe I did. Feel free to return the favor. Iron sharpens iron. (I laughed when our pastor misspoke and said, "Steel sharpens steel" the other night...we're in the middle of a building project. He's got it on the brain.) I read this blog today on "the spirituality of NOT blogging. Maybe we really do need the extreme "three day fast from blogging" to "get a grip" and talk to Him for a while first. Thanks Tallskinnykiwi.

~Me

P.S. Somebody told me that "Tell Me" link on the last entry took them to the .pdf file rather than the .wav. I'll go check it now...worth correcting. Thanks.



3 comments:

Carlos said...

Wow. That was pretty fiery. But I liked it. I agree there should be a nice time of checks and balances within this world of blogging. I do see though, having many friends who are "professional", how all the fakeness of going church to church can have an ill effect. And I think that some feel like this can be a place ot vent. I do tend to see a bit more negativity coming from their fingers than I ever would their mouths. Great post.
Los

Andrew Jones said...

Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks."

i think about this verse and its relationship to blogging a lot

thanks

Joan said...

I really got on a "soap box", huh?

I have equal irks with some Christian women's circles. I'll save that to add spice for another day.

Was thinking of the "sword" overnight that says, "Say only what is useful for building others up according to THEIR needs that it may benefit those who listen."

Now, I think sometimes blogging is somewhat of "Job's Space". What a great name for a blog. All said.

But, I also think of Jesus' advice that we save true venting for the True One who can handle it...in our closets, doors closed. Not aired in cyberspace for the thousands who come by even a miniscule blog like this one every month.

Thanks for the gracious consideration. Was deep water.