9/04/2005

Sunday after Katrina

Our service at church today was a mix of praise and just harrowing reality. It's always a challenge to know what people need in hard times.

Today, we just hit the inescapable square in the face, and I was so glad --four refugee families were with us today in worship. Would have been an insult to them to have ignored it or tried to take a break from it, I think.

We sang this song: I love it because it's meant so much to me through some of my own tough days...but, it was meaningful in a new way today.

Blessed Be Your Name (recorded by Tree 63)

Blessed be your name in the land that is plentiful
Where the streams of abundance flow
Blessed be your name

Blessed be your name when I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be your name

Every blessing you pour out, I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say:

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your glorious name

Blessed be your name when the sun's shining down on me
When the world's all as it should be
Blessed be your name

Blessed be your name on the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be your name

Every blessing you pour out,
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will sayL

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your glorious name

(Imagine singing this refrain...they left it out intentionally I think...I'm glad)
You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Blessed be your name

Following the worship set, the drama team had set up some airplane chairs on stage for a skit about being the one to help when others ignore, have other plans, or are inconvenienced.

A mentally challenged girl came on the flight with her mother. While one family was rude and ugly and wanted them move, another man was tired and needed a nap, but read to the girl, soothed her in the recent loss of her "papa" grandfather, and let her sleep on his shoulder. It was so touching. I was finally able to cry this week, and that release was good.

Well, today, I'll make a fruit pie for a get together tonight, try to keep getting the guest room ready in case the Lord leads someone our way, and hopefully get in a good game of Frisbee tonight.

God bless you and yours. I hope you get out in the sunshine today and soak it up! You need it more than you think.

No comments: