9/03/2005

Labor Day Weekend Fun


The Trail--Beautiful
(Also "Butt-Kick Hill")

Today's early morning bike ride after not getting to sleep until 2AM nearly killed me...My riding partner is lethal, brutal, faithful, spry...a morning person. The weather was perfect, the trail under morning mist, sunlight was splattering through green waving leaves... and there I was about to fall off the bike! Whew. I made it. 12.5 miles (and a near wreck after some weirdo forced me off the trail down a gravel slope and onto a fortunate side road) . Yeah, I got a little cranky. Trail hog. Mercy. Kill a girl. Whew. Did I mention I lost my brakes momentarily? We'll be doing that safety check tomorrow, yes we will.

Finished out, went home, got me a cup of coffee, orange danish rolls, chocolate brownies for the family reunion, which I sampled, and a hot bath with bubbles up to my eyelids and water hot enough to boil potatoes.

Did you know...

...if you close your eyes and sing in the tub while jets are going, you could end up choking out on soap bubbles? It's true.


"I hide myself in Thee...I hide myself in..hkkkh....chlllkk....egggggh". (Hbbie in the shower cracking up listening. He says, "Sorry for ruining your little 'Karma' and all." Like we believe in "Karma".

I'm a Mom, I'm used to my "karma" bath moment being ruined.

Shortly after the choking on bubble episode, my 9 yr. old son runs in and laughingly announced that his and his buddy just fell into the trampoline net and it "fell down". Daddy worked like 8 eight hours lacing that net up, it costs more than the trampoline, took longer to instal, and he currently has seven external pins in his broken wrist (another story, but 1-3 more weeks before I get my "trash man" back. Some guys think it's the car, the hair, the clothes, the sparkle. Maybe for the catch...after that, the love is all about the trash my dear friends. This woman is so sick of carrying, burning, sorting, hauling, and remembering the trash. Not that it's so bad, it's just on top of the laundry and laundry, and dishes, and...well, I won't bore you.) Anyway, his karma was broken with "the net", so there you go! All's fair in...

Nevermind. Just joking.


Today was a "cap day". A day to NOT fix your hair, sweat, admire creation, and have fun. One of my favorite holidays of the year. Memorial Day is the other. Why? Long weekends, cool weather. Outdoor fun. Friends. Family. No need to plan or buy gifts. It's just "all that".

So...today I learned to throw my first Aerobe at a family reunion. Boy, was that FUN! Forget frisbee, and I LOVE frisbee. My little self could fling that thing 300 ft. or so I guess.


Which brings me to a hazhard...we were on this grassy, wooded knoll (poison ivy, an outhouse, and STEEP valleys on BOTH sides.) And, I missed just a couple times. Did I mention snakes? My poor cousin "missed my throw" bless his heart.

We starting worrying when he didn't come back after having run like madman down the hill. Quiet little fellow.

We yelled. No answer. I've got like a gazillion cousins, so I'm like, "What's his name?" So, then, we're yelling, "David?" Sort of not sure that is his name. All I knew was, 5 minutes before, he saw a baby snake, went over, stepped on it, grabbed a stick off the ground behind him, and squished it's head. Picked it up, all curled up, and threw it to the woods. This was no wimp, but we couldn't see him, and he wasn't coming back.

Finally, I went on down below the outhouse (like, nobody goes down below the outhouse if you get my meaning), and I'm seeing movement. "You okay?"


He yells, "Yeah, like a million spider webs down here and I don't see it." He's stumbling around in the poison ivy which he claims he's NOT allergic to (and I'm already broken out in for the FIFTH time this summer, staying "in the stands" for moral support.) But, IS he okay?

I think so, but he's losing patience.

Finally, he yells, "Found it!" He uses it as a machete now to get back up the hill for the vines and spider webs...it's too steep and he's tired, so he goes the long way back around and up the valley.

I lost my partner after that. Wimp.

My son humored me for a while. His goal was "ringing" the Amercian flag pole with the Aerobie. I'm glad he missed...getting it back off would have really worn my cousin David out.


Well, I'm going to bed. I got to sleep good tonight friends. My bike riding buddy wants another weekend warrior ride --even Avalon's "Oxygen" remix didn't bail me out today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for blogging, I stumbled on your site searching for Christian music. I am a mother of 2 who also plays in a band, (guitar, bass and percussion) and I appreciate your perspective on things. Thanks for helping those displaced by Katrina. We are in Kansas and have only been able to give money so far though we are curently gathering supplies for a church members family. They have lost an uncle and every earthly possession but one home. 114 people in the family. Thanks again,
shari