9/07/2005

Technical Tips: Site Meter, HTML Editing, HTML Code Generators

Two tips just because I feel like being nice today:

1. I found a cool thing yesterday that I feel kind enough to pass on to those millions of Bloggers powered by eBlog. (For those of you with Typepad, I scrapbook, so there's my whole creative budget for the year already right there. I envy you.)

Anyway, help your needy frineds with this tip: When code instructions tell you to look through your code to add stuff, type the word you need to find in the existing code into the google search line above, but don't click "search web" (assuming you use Google, which makes sense to me if you are using Blog). Then, click the highlight key on the Google bar (find it under Google preferences if it's not already on your tool bar), scroll down in your template until you see the word you need to find all lit up! Tell me that isn't ingenious? Thought of that all on my own and everything.

2. For everyone who uses Site Meter. You know those gazillion entries you get that say people are spending "0:00" time on your site? Well, guess what? Site Meter can only clock time when there are moves between pages. So, if you are blogging many days on the front page, that's why you get a lot of zeros. But, you are not a zero! Isn't that GREAT to know! That's why as of the time of this post, I've been listing one blog on the page at a time. I just wanted a better idea of useage for a couple days. Looks ugly for now, but has been a neat experiment you should try sometime.

3. If you know someone struggling with the HTML code with Blog, there are free HTML code producers, some probably better than the free one I downloaded a couple years ago to help you dissect problem areas of code. I still have a couple problems, but it has helped a lot. You type what you want, and it translates it to code. It's not fautless, but it has helped with a few problem spots.

Hope that helps!

No comments: