9/09/2005

Tell Me A Story

Listen to Stanice Anderson read TELL ME

She has "donated" the poem to Katrina. She wrote it several years ago, but it speaks now.

She also is offering the poem in .pdf file on her blog ready for cutting three poems to a page for anyone who wants to use it in relief packages sent.

My new friends here have had their men down to check out their houses. I'm on hold right now, waiting to talk to them. With four families in one home, call waiting is constantly going. But, the gist is, pretty much every thing they found down there is molded and stinks to high heaven...clothes, papers... everything.

Even some things the men tried to bring back stank so badly the wives had to throw them away.
One I just spoke with said her husband brought back three garbage bags full of "remains". That's it from their whole house.

I have a hard time imagining my husband going down to try to bring back "valuable things". I'd always wonder about those few sentimental things he may have missed--a child's first spoon? Wedding gifts.

I am a sentimental nut. Still find myself constantly looking around at the things people have given me in my own home that remind me of their love and commitment. I know life goes on without it--but it's hard for me to imagine, and I know that's far from the worst of it for some.

~Me

No comments: