10/14/2005

Purpose Driven....Drugs?

Shlog raised some interesting questions on his blog worth mulling based on this story.

"ATLANTA (AP) — Ashley Smith, the woman who says she persuaded suspected courthouse gunman Brian Nichols to release her by talking about her faith, discloses in a new book that she gave him methamphetamine during the hostage ordeal.In her book, "Unlikely Angel," released Tuesday, Smith says Nichols had her bound on her bed with masking tape and an extension cord. She says he asked for marijuana, but she did not have any, and she dug into her illegal stash of crystal meth instead...During the ordeal, Smith says, she pulled out Rick Warren's book "The Purpose-Driven Life" and read to Nichols a chapter called "Using What God Gave Me" to gain his trust. Nichols later released her, and she called 911 and told authorities where to find him."
Click here for the full story.

QUESTIONS: Does this hostage's use of drugs or her captors use of drugs negate her claim that God intervened to free her? Does God use "sin" to bring about virtue? Can both drugs and deity be active in a person's life at the same time?

Thanks for the thought-provoking blogs, Shaun!

1 comment:

Mysti said...

Been catching up on your blog. It's been a while since I've read ANYTHING and it's good to get out of my own little world. Thanks for the provocative thoughts. About the drugs, thing, I think God can use odd things to get us through situations, and He also gave us free will to use those things as well. For instance, if someone attacked me or my kids, I would probably kill them if I could. Yes, that's a sin, but if it protects myself and my family, then maybe God understands that?