6/22/2006

Packed Like Sardines


The older I get the more I understand why some people do extreme sports. I have a hankering for one right now. Total mind distraction. Total focus. Total stupidity. Total escape.

This week has been one story hard after another in community circles.

Sunday--funeral.
Monday--unspeakable.
Tuesday--my identity stolen.
Wednesday--a friend miscarried, a special person diagnosed with prostate cancer, another--baby stillborn at full term (excited happy family-->completely devastated family.)
Wow. Quite a week.

I love these people. I know Christ is enough...but, these situations are deep. Hope is far off. How they must hurt! I hurt for them.

How much, O Lord? I know there are ministers who handle stress and bad news constantly...how? I don't know. How to keep from getting cold and uncaring? How to lead when you don't want to lead? Just want to sit and cry. People need leading, joy, praise...more than they need more crying. But, the grief! So raw. Lord, deal with me.

Much bad news in one small window. Bad news packed in like sardines. How easy it is for it to cloud the skies to become so dark grey that light fights to get through. I am resting. I am thankful. But, I still feel like throwing up off and on four days now...the pain is just so real for people. We hurt for them.

It could be worse...it can always be worse. Good for us to be reminded of people's intense pain from time to time...and I am reminded this week. Almost too much to bear; I know... Christ bears it all. Still...we hurt for them.

My Lord loves all these people beyond comprehension. I know that I know that I know!

May your unfailing love rest upon us oh, Lord, even as we put our hope in you. Ps. 33:22

3 comments:

Vessel said...

Sometimes in the midst of a storm I think about something a speaker once said at a conference I went to. In Joshua 6:2 it says, "Then the Lord said to Joshua,'See I have delivered Jericho into your hands, along with its King and it's fighting men'.
God said this to him BEFORE he marched around the wall and conquered the city. God has given us victory through His son, and given us scripture to guide and His spirit to comfort us. Yet we must still endure through the trial. He will be there with those promises. I will hold you and those you know up in prayer today!!

Psalm62:1-2
My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my savation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had words for you that would bring comfort. The only thing I have is God and His unending mercy. Praying for you.
s

Mysti said...

So sorry about your trials this past week. I know some of them personally too. Do you all like blueberry muffins? I made some over the weekend and maybe I can bring some to you tonight. I used my own blueberries, too. Give me a ring anytime.