8/22/2005

Ruth Myers--A Hero

Okay, so the posts so far have been pretty family oriented.

Today, I'll tell you about a hero of mine.

I was doing a devotional type study today (actually had time to sit down with a book for the first time in a few weeks). Note the study I'm finishing up listed in the margin.

Ruth Myers, the author, is quite a lady...70s I'd guess from her picture in the book. She and her husband, Warren, are on staff with Navigators (an international, non-denominational mission organization). They've served in Singapore for "many years".

loved her book 31 Days of Praise--it's changed my prayer life to recognizing more fully that God is using to the benefit of His kingdom a very "unfinished" me, and He can change those things I don't like whenever it suits Him and those things can no longer be used for His purposes...isn't that an encouraging thought (as long as we are cooperating, of course).

This study is "The Satisfied Heart: 31 Days of Experiencing God's Love." Her books I go back to as classics when I'm in between other studies, re-reading highlights and scriptures I've written that go along with her thoughts. She pulls out verses I've never seen before. Feels like having a wonderful aunt sitting with you, teaching you.

Ruth is on my hero-of-faith list. Nothing in particular, I just like her. I'd describe her as well-read, disciplined, plain, uncomplicated, full of the word, richly in love with and filled with the Lord lady. She sacrifices to do the Lord's will.

So, here's a challenging quote from her book today that struck me as something new to think about. Tell me what you think.
"Even as a beginner I find a delightful blend of feeling not only secure in His love, but also liberated. Now that's a trick--to experience both security and freedom at the same time. Often they don't go hand in hand. But they come togther so beautifully in our experience of God's love."

My life seems in transition in so many areas...so many things shifting, changing, challenging. I love it. I love that it wears me out! I hate to be bored. To know both the security of trusting Him and the freedom of walking with Him...the pull and tug of that balance. I've never thought about it in terms of trust and liberation working together. I'll have to keep thinking on that one. Share your thoughts if you like.

No comments: