8/21/2005

Biking the Trail

Kristy W. invited me to bike with her on the trail today. We had a great ride and paced well together. She's got the legs of a horse. I've never found someone who could keep up with me and she led most of the time.

I've probably only ridden the whole trail twice all summer-- great fun to give it a go.

Trees have grown up from where I left it last--could hardly see the water! Many flowers planted by community groups...looked nice.

Got spooked coming home. Heard gunshots (3-4 shots fired from a rifle, I think) close to the houses close to the trail. She was on the look-out already, someone having told her about some trouble along that stretch last week. We actually stopped and voted whether to leave the path for the Hwy or stay on. She thought we could go fast and look the other way, so we did.

I was praying hard and not riding as fast as I wanted to.

We had only crossed a couple brave joggers and one biker it was so hot. Not like we had much company.

Shortly after that toward the end of the trail, we passed one old man hobbling along. I mean, I truly thought he had plenty room on the path--rang my bell, but I guess he didn't hear it. He looked like he had moved over some, so I thought he had. Boym did he get startled! And boy, could he get mad in one hurry! He started screaming and cursing and waving his hands--I couldn't make out what he was screaming and it seemed a bad idea to stop to find out. Kristy said she couldn't repeat it. She did tell me later. Glad we were on bikes. He was kind of funny, but she was still making sure he wasn't able to catch us on foot as we loaded bikes into the pickup. Ha. Like he could! He WAS very mad.

We finished in one hour five mintues. I used to add four miles to that time. Gee, I'm out of shape. Nobody was supposed to confirm that. (As if I didn't know.)

This morning I was very short of breath. Took a nap this afternoon, guzzled some Gatorade, and left feeling fine. I should have tested my sanity going at all in this heat, but I actually felt better momentarily during and after. The excitment of riding again suspended all good judgment I do believe. I was zonked when we got home tonight. Fell asleep for a nap in a heartbeat. Gotta go when you can, us weekend warriors! Loved it.

Well, read a good quote I liked yesterday I'll leave with:

Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art...It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival.
~C. S. Lewis

No comments: